ROBERT M. NEWELL, PH.D.
FORENSIC AND CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY
Specializing in Behavioral Healthcare for Children &
Adolescents, Families, Couples, and Adults.
WHAT EVERY PARENT NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT
WARNING SIGNS OF ALCOHOL OR DRUG USE
Here is a list of warning signs that may indicated that your son or daughter is using alcohol or drugs. If your child displays any of these warning signs you should seek professional help right away.
· Change in peer group and abandonment of old friends
· Increased aggression and physical fighting
· Increased nervousness or agitation
· Associating with known drug/alcohol users and/or older people
· Defensiveness about drug and alcohol use
· Withdrawal from family and friends
· Excessive irritability and moodiness—frequent changes in emotions
· Changes in sexual behavior
· Defiance toward parents and other authority figures
· Frequent red eyes and/or the use of eye drops
· Loss of interest in hobbies, extracurricular activities
· Sudden drop or gradual drop in grades and achievement (no clear reasons)
· Skipping classes or days of school
· Getting in to trouble in school
· Sleeping excessively in class
· Excessive use of cell phone
· Change in language (profanity, slang, etc.)
· Financial management erratic (spending more, needing more, etc.)
· Blackouts, periods of memory loss
· Criminal behavior and conflicts with the law (e.g., getting arrested, thefts, etc.)
· Selling drugs and/or alcohol
· Careless or reckless behavior (speeding, car accidents, etc.)
· Slurred speech or changes in speech pattern
· Changes in sleeping patterns
· Weight changes (drastic loss or gain)
· Keeping drug paraphernalia (rolling papers, pipes, roach clips, etc.)
· Writes drug slang and phrases on notebooks, yearbooks, etc.
· Consistent lying and other suspicious behavior
· Change in appearance and/or hygiene
► CONTACT ME if you have any questions or concerns about your child, or to schedule an appointment.
DR. ROBERT M. NEWELL
Copyright © 2004-2007 Robert M. Newell, Ph.D. All rights reserved.