ROBERT M. NEWELL, PH.D.
FORENSIC AND CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY
Specializing in Behavioral Healthcare for Children &
Adolescents, Families, Couples, and Adults.
(INFORMATION FOR ATTORNEYS)
PSYCHOLOGICAL SERVICES IN A LEGAL CONTEXT
One of my specialty areas is working with children, adolescents, and families who are in the process of divorce, or who are experiencing problems related to post-divorce conflict. I provide a variety of treatment services including:
· Psychological evaluation and treatment planning;
· Individual psychotherapy to assist individuals and/or families adjust to divorce;
· Training and coaching for parents on child behavior management skills to help them parent more effectively;
· Psychotherapy for children and/or parents with diagnosed psychological problems;
· Child-focused therapeutic mediation services for divorcing or divorced parents designed to help reduce parental conflict and to assist them in developing cooperative co-parenting strategies in the best interest of their children.
· Co-parenting psychotherapy for divorcing or divorced parents.
I provide services to the Court such as child custody/parenting evaluations, psychological evaluations, and post-dissolution family case management services (either by stipulation or by Court appointment).
I also provide services to family law attorneys on a variety of psycholegal issues pertaining to children, adolescents, families, and divorce such as:
· Case Consultation, Second Opinion, and Document Review: I review reports prepared by other a mental health professionals or Guardian ad Litems and offer commentary on various psycholegal issues such as the overall strengths and weaknesses of the report, including the selection of assessment instruments; the interpretation of assessment data; and the extent to which the opinions expressed are supported by the data and methodology. Aspects of the report that are likely to be the focus of cross-examination or criticism by an opposing expert can be identified to aid preparation for deposition or trial.
· Litigation Support and Trial Preparation: In the event that my case review identifies issues that support your client’s legal position, I assist attorneys in deposition and trial preparation by proposing specific questions and general areas of inquiry for use in cross-examination. I also assist attorneys at trial by listening to testimony of friendly and opposing experts and then making suggestions for relevant questions for cross-examination.
· Expert Witness Testimony: I provide expert witness testimony on specialized areas of psychological knowledge such as professional ethics, child and adolescent psychological development; child and adolescent diagnosis and treatment; child abuse, interviewing of children, parent alienation, high-conflict families, or other issues relevant to court-involved children and families.
► CONTACT ME if you have any questions. I offer a free initial 30-minute case consultation to attorneys. Thank you for considering my services.
DR. ROBERT M. NEWELL
Copyright © 2004-2008 Robert M. Newell, Ph.D. All rights reserved.